Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Daddy Daycare

On Sunday and Monday of this week i worked helping gear up for stocktake, so Daddy got left with both girls for the first time. I was really looking forward to the time out, but even more looking forward to hubby experiencing running after the two girls all day, as he thinks i sit on my butt all day and watch tv.
Sunday he took them out to his Mum on the farm, where they had a lovely time running around, feeding the chooks etc. He admitted to only forgetting about Maggie once, not too bad. He also managed to do a lot of washing, but two days later it was all still sitting there waiting for me to fold away. Still effort appreciated. However day one i arrived home and Daryl had to go to a street meeting (about a neighbour from Hell - a whole nother blog story i will get around to one day), so i was still left, after working all day, to feed Maggie, and prepare and cook tea. At this point he arrived home, but it was still left to me to bathe Maggie and prepare her for bed. He did put Charlotte to bed, 1/2 an hour early with no toothbrushing or story (admittedly she was falling asleep on the couch, but it's still a normal day thing that he didn't get to experience). I did at this point refuse to do the dishes, so these were still sitting on the bench when i got up in the morning, after having been the one to still get up to Maggie in the night (she has a cough.). He also stayed in bed for a mini sleep in while i fed the kids and got ready for work. At this point he also had to take Maggie for swimming lessons (a normal occurrence). My Mum went along to watch Charlotte. (Ooh just forgot to mention that when i arrived home on Sunday the kids were running around outside near naked while he mowed the lawn. I don't have a problem with naked kids except when it is pretty cold and Maggie has had a nasty cough at nights for over a month!)
I finished work early on Monday and arrived home just after lunch. Managed to give Daryl a fright who when i shut the garage door thought it was the sound of Maggie falling out of the high chair, that he hadn't strapped her into. I did still make him take Charlotte to and from kindy and cook tea that night, but i really don't think he got the full experience. I really need to plan a few days away by myself, so he is stuck with the girls completely for a whole few days without being able to fall back on me. Then he might finally get it!

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Do it! I have organised, booked and payed for a week away without my husband or children. It took me months of talking and dithering about it but now that I have I feel mostly great and only occasionally guilty.

Do aquacise one night a week. Really gentle and great for the soul. Do a course or learn a skill one night a week. Something just for you as although you are a Mother, wife, and all in between you are still a HELEN and she needs to be looked after as well or you risk loosing her forever, sounds dramatic but it is increasingly easy to loose perspective when you are tired.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx